Friday, November 11, 2011

How to Build a Tweed Ride

Hats The Tweed Ride is here! The Tweed Ride is here! I am so excited. Dandies & Quaintrelles will be hosting DC's Tweed Ride this Sunday, November 13. Registration for the ride is free; the party is $15 (may be sold out). You need to register for the ride in order to get route information.

Of course, the most important part of a tweed ride is the outfit. There is definitely no formal dress code, it's just vaguely vintagey/old timey. Check out this flickr pool for inspiration.

The hat is crucial, and I have several to choose from. I'm pretty sure I'm going with my new green bowler hat from my trip to Ecuador, but how cute is the purple cloche I picked up at the thrift store a couple months ago? But is it as cute as my Japanese pattern fedora? And then there is the fabulous black hat that I bought on my first trip to London at 17 years old (for 40 pounds--I didn't quite grasp the exchange rate, but it has lasted 20 years and still looks good so I suppose it was worth the then $60).

Toppers Then there is the actual tweed. It's supposed to be around 60F/16C so I probably won't need the vintage coat with fur collar (far right) I inherited from my grandmother. I love this beautiful coat but I feel really weird about the fur and have only worn it once, to the ballet. It would be perfect for the ride, but too hot for the weather I think.

On the far left is a wool tweed jacket I bought from a thrift store in high school. It desperately needs a new lining as well as new buttons, but is very tweedy. Next to it is a cape I made about 3 years ago; I wore it on a trip to Germany but not since as a cape is so darn impractical. You have to carry a handbag, not a shoulder bag, and I just don't do that. The last option is a fairly generic blazer, but it is a nice fabric and I like the greenish color.

Shoes I also have plenty to choose from in the shoe department: two pairs of booties (one black, one brown), a pair of green t-strap wedges, and some cheap but suitably costumey granny boots. One of the many great things about biking is that you can wear uncomfortable shoes and still go great distances! I'm leaning toward the granny boots just because when else am I going to wear them? But I also love the brown booties and they get no wear.

The big dilemma is: What about the actual clothes? I'm actually a bit stumped there. I haven't fortified my winter wardrobe with biking skirts; all my tweedy type skirts are pencil skirts. I might be able to pedal once on the bike, but getting on and off of it and stopping at traffic lights would be extremely unpleasant in a pencil skirt.

After much playing of dress up I came up with an outfit of a high-necked lacey blouse, a calf-length wool plaid kilt, and one of my obis, but then the obi would be the only thing I'd made. The blouse is from Ross about 6 years ago and my mom gave me the skirt from her younger years (vintage!). It's a cute and very old timey outfit, but I hate not wearing anything I've made on a normal day, much less to a dress up event! We'll see what inspiration strikes that morning.

Even if you're not riding along, play dress up and tell me what you'd wear! Or vote for your favorite hat, topper, or shoe.*



*Voting is for novelty and entertainment purposes only. The Slapdash Sewist will wear whatever ends up pleasing her, regardless of majority rule.

16 comments:

Karin said...

The purple hat really catches my eye. All the shoes are great, I think I would need to see your outfit before I cast my vote for shoes. It sounds like good fun; enjoy the ride!

Irene said...

All your choices are wonderful, and I'm sure that whatever you choose to wear - you will look absolutely fantastic. Have a great time!

Jenny said...

I vote purple hat, cape, and granny booties. I have no idea if they'd look nice together but they sure are fantastic on their own. Plus, then your cape would be something you made. On the cape/bag issue, sometimes I just put on my shoulder bag under the cape. It works if it's not a big, bulky bag and you don't need to get to it during your walk/bike ride.

LinB said...

My vote: Brown booties, purple hat, green blazer. Fling together a split skirt or wide-legged trousers for the ride -- you can always go back and finish the seams or line it, later. Cross-body bag if you need one, or rucksack. Blouse or sweater under the blazer. Have fun!

sewing spots said...

No votes here, just love the sound of this event! Have fun!

M Kate said...

All your options look great, but I'd vote for the brown booties, the purple hat, and whatever jacket is the least warm. I bike to work so I err on the side of function over fashion.. or just less sweat ;-). Have a great ride!

KID, MD said...

So fun!! I love the purple hat, but your japanese pattern fedora is also very awesome and more tweedy. I think the cape, being both tweedy and vintage-y would be amazing, and it seems like a good choice for biking? Maybe? I also second your lean toward the granny booties. So cute! I can't wait to see what you choose.

Mrs. Micawber said...

I am no help at all, loving all of the choices available. I seriously covet your shoe collection.

I think the idea of a split skirt is a good one. Didn't gauchos make a comeback this fall?

Looking forward to the pictures.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea. We should all play paper dolls in each others' closets! I say purple cloche, jacket #1, and green t-straps. I really like the idea of the fur collared jacket, but if it's not going to be cool enough, jacket #1 seems a sensible choice. Have a good time. It sounds like it will be a fun event.

Cennetta said...

Wow. Looks like fun. I vote for the purple hat too. The black booties are cute, cute.

AllisonC said...

I'm voting for purple hat, tweed jacket and granny booties. It looks like whatever you choose you will look the part - have fun!

liza jane said...

Love the disclaimer at the end.

I love the bowler hat you got on your recent trip. I've been on the lookout for something similar. And definitely the granny boots!

Witch Hazel said...

Wow, this sounds like a lot of fun! I think that purple hat is just so perfect,and I love the brown booties, too. But like everyone says, it looks like you have a great selection and whatever you pick will look great.
I hope you have a good time on the ride tomorrow. And I hope you get a chance to post pics of it!

BConky said...

I like the purple hat and green shoes.

Katharine said...

Oooh, and I tuned in just to see if you would talk about your Tweed Ride outfit, and you did! Thx! :) Whatever you choose is the right thing to wear. Enjoy your ride with Cidell and friend.

Lynn said...

Well, of course I vote for the lace up oxford shoe! It is hard to choose from the wonderful hats, but I think the purple one is very "you."